Modern views. Ancient muse.
An Nyc edit, narrated in indus ink.
BY Love, Indus | PUBLISHED ON October 07, 2023
Get ready to dive into the world of makeup and skincare for brown skin - from understanding your skin type to discovering the best products - we've got you covered.
Step One: Some Skincare Tips for Beginners
We all fall for those adorable, colorful, and enticing skincare products, don't we? But here's the thing - some of those cute little goodies might actually do more harm than good to your precious skin, and you might not even realize it.
These products often contain preservatives, chemicals, or fragrances that can irritate or dry out your skin. That's why it's a smart move to introduce new products into your skincare routine one at a time, especially if you have sensitive skin. Trust us, your skin will thank you for it! When trying out a new product, take a pea-sized drop of it and apply it behind your ear or along your jawline. Give it a day or two to see if your skin has any reaction before going all out and applying it to your entire face. This way, you can determine if the product is compatible with your skin type without surprises.
It's essential to prioritize what's best for your unique skin - we all understand the allure of those irresistible Instagram and TikTok skincare trends. However, staying true to what you already know works well for you is always a good idea. Don't get us wrong - we're not discouraging you from exploring new skincare options - it's always exciting to try new things. However, it's important to be mindful of the ingredients, the brand's reputation, and the formulation of the products you apply to your beautiful skin. Take a moment to read product labels, do a quick background check on brands, and educate yourself about the beneficial or harmful ingredients.
Step Two: Brown Skin, Indian Tones, and Makeup
To better understand and celebrate the beauty of brown skin tones, it's important to know some key points in mind. One crucial aspect is the undertones present in brown skin. Undertones refer to the subtle hues beneath the skin's surface that contribute to its overall appearance. In brown skin, three primary undertones are commonly observed: warm, cool, and yellow-olive. If your skin exhibits a yellow-gold tint, you likely have warm undertones.
Conversely, your undertones are cool if you notice a mix of red and pink undertones. Many South Asians tend to have yellow-olive undertones, which give the skin a warm, earthy hue. Understanding your undertones is essential, including choosing the right makeup shades and clothing colors that complement your complexion and addressing specific skincare concerns. Speaking of concerns, individuals with yellow-olive undertones often deal with pigmentation issues.
Hyperpigmentation and Uneven Skin
Here are a few more tips for choosing products for your brown skin:
1. Skincare: Hydration and skin prep are key to achieving a smooth makeup look. Our Amrutini® Luminosity Dewdrops serum is the perfect pre-base for any makeup routine - consider adding a few drops before. This serum is designed to deeply hydrate and nourish your skin, leaving it with a gorgeous dewy glow. It works wonders in quenching your skin, giving it a plump and supple appearance. Try blending a few drops of this serum with your foundation for a soft, hydrated look.
2. Foundation: After prepping your skin with the right products the next step is finding the foundation shade that matches your skin tone. A helpful way to determine this is by finding a shade that seamlessly blends into your skin. Remember to test the shade on your face or neck, as the arm may not accurately represent your skin tone. It's also important to consider the formulation that suits your skin type. If a foundation appears ashy on your skin, it is likely too light, while a foundation that appears too dark is too deep for your skin tone.
Golden Touch Foundation by Nehal & Co is one of our favorite foundations. It is non-comedogenic, fragrant, and suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin. You should check out their buildable foundation - available in 33 inclusive shades, and it is Love, Indus approved!
3. Color Corrector & Concealer: Concealers and correctors can work wonders in your makeup routine, bringing you closer to achieving flawless-looking skin. Choosing the right shades is important to make the most of these products. Your concealer should be slightly lighter than your actual skin tone, usually one or two shades lighter. Take the time to test out different shades of concealers on any dark spots on your forehead. If you find a shade that seamlessly blends and effectively conceals, hold it close, as finding the perfect shade can be quite challenging. You can turn to orange color correctors when dealing with pigmentation or saturated dark spots. Keep in mind experimentation and finding what works best for you is the key to successful concealing and color correcting.
4. Blush: Choosing the right blush can be tricky, especially when matching it with your skin tone. Makeup experts suggest some valuable tips to help you find the perfect shade: If you have fair to medium skin, dusty rose pink, pearly pinks, and peach hues are great options. These colors add a natural, subtle glow to lighter skin tones. For those with medium to dark skin, dark coral hues work wonders. These deeper shades bring warmth and richness to your complexion, enhancing your natural beauty. Remember that these recommendations are not strict rules but mere guidelines. Every skin tone is unique, so feel free to experiment and find what makes you feel confident and radiant. And, of course, multi-tasking tints such as this Touch of Color from Bindt Beauty allow lips and cheeks to get beautifully highlighted in just a few simple strokes.
5. Highlighter: You can always achieve a stunning and radiant look for your brown skin, whether sunny or not. Shimmery shades are the key to achieving a heavenly glow - luckily, plenty of options are available to help you achieve that goddess-like glow. If your skin tone is fair to medium, choose pearl and champagne shades to accentuate your best features. These shades will give you a luminous and radiant appearance, highlighting your natural beauty. Rose gold and bronze shades work like magic for those with medium to dark complexions. They add an ethereal touch to your look, enhancing your inner glow and stunning features.
Step Three: Embrace your beauty
That was quite a lot of info, wasn't it?
We've got you covered with all the tips and tricks you need to feel confident and embrace your unique beauty. Understanding your undertones, finding the right foundation, using concealers effectively, and choosing the perfect blush for your skin tone are part of enhancing your natural features and expressing your style. Remember, skincare and makeup are not about conforming to standards but celebrating your beauty. Whether you have fair, medium, or dark brown skin, countless options and shades are available to make you feel like a radiant goddess. So, don't be afraid to experiment, try new products, and have fun with your makeup routine - you’ve got this.
PRODUCTS IN THIS STORY
Overnight Oasis Serum
$135 • 30 ml
A promise in a bottle, this daily-use elixir works to enhance skin radiance. Its power lies in the fusion of precious botanicals from the Indian sub-continent like golden Muga silk (known for its exquisite luster), proven synthetics such as Hyaluronic Acid, and the precision of transformative technological processes like biotransformation. The accompanying copper crusted silk cocoons complete the treatment - providing gentle, yet effective exfoliation.